Tuesday, March 18

Excitement in Fishtown. Okay, more like craziness...

This week has already been a busier one than usual for Fishtown, USA. First, the predominantly Irish population had plenty to celebrate this whole weekend with the St. Patrick's Day holiday. I even saw my first parade in Fishtown--a band of about 8-10 cars with Irish flags proudly flying, egged on by stacatto car horns and woofing speakers. It was the closest I've ever come to the Dukes of Hazzard.

To top that off, an inspector discovered a severely cracked beam in I-95--the highway built above much of Philadelphia, which happens to be the most trafficted highway on the east coast. PENNDOT (Pennsylvania Department of Transportation) decided to close the highway right before my street...for at least two days. They closed it this morning, and TONS of traffic has been re-routed through Fishtown and other various exits. There are police at EVERY intersection assisting traffic through the crowded arteries adjecent to I-95. It's a good week to be on spring break!

Here's a picture of the beam, and the story from a local news station.

No comments: