Monday, January 12

Parting is such sweet sorrow

One of the tough parts of Christmas break for me was the organization of my old room at my parents' house.  They had several boxes of stuff just taking up space in there.  As a teacher and self-proclaimed pack rat, I have a hard time throwing anything away.  My motto is, "you never know when you'll need it again!"  Fortunately, God paired me with a spouse who is good as speaking truth into situations such as these.  Sarah was a champ at helping me cleanse my room from clutter with dignity and a sensitivity for my nostalgia.  For example, do I really need four pairs of old watches?  Old ticket stubs?  (granted, if I had kept all of them, I'd want them all.  However, I only have a few random ones) Trophies?  Now, I was able to talk Sarah into letting me keep a few trophies, but I had to throw away most of them.  As a kid, I remember being so proud of those trophies.  They were proof that even though I was homeschooled, I could make it in the sporting arena. 

Probably the best trick Sarah brought with her into this process was to take pictures of objects with sacred value.  Here are a few of our snapshots:


In the end, we made a lot of progress.  It felt good to create more space in my room, even though it cost me a few memories.  Does this mean I'm actually growing up??

(For my non-Facebook friends, here's a link to some of the pictures we took over break.)

No comments: