Saturday, March 21

The Match

Thursday I had the privilege of observing an event that was unlike any other I think I'll ever witness: 255 people finding out the next 3-5 years of their life...at the exact same time. As you could imagine, there was a great deal of nervous energy in the room. Parents, significant others, and doctors crammed into the lecture hall at Jefferson's new building at 11AM for the match ceremony. (Spruce Hill let me leave school to attend the event with Sarah, for which I was quite thankful)

From 11-11:50, all the med students were talking with their friends, taking pictures, and filling out end-of-the-year surveys. At 11:50, the dean went to the podium and asked everyone to return to their seats. He asked all family members and friends (excluding spouses, thankfull!) to leave the room and close the doors behind them! After several minutes of comments and thanking folks for their work, he introduced the new dean of students. This dean congratulated everyone and told the doctors to pass out the envelopes. (it was a little strange since the doctors had the envelopes the entire hour we were there, but they weren't allowed to pass them out)

Sarah accepted her envelope, then we scurried down to the front to meet our friends Krista, Will, and Michelle. Thankfully, they all got their first choices! I'll let the pictures tell the story:

Some folks weren't as fortunate. Sarah picked Jefferson because they have one of the best family medicine programs on the east coast. While she couldn't believe they picked her, I was very proud to see her be affirmed professionally. I'd pick her as my top choice too!!! Actually, I already did...

The rest of the day was filled with Jefferson parties. I had to return to school for parent/teacher conferences, but I was able to catch up with the rest of the crew in time to watch Michigan win their first NCAA tournament game in over 10 years! Our home group took us out for dinner the following night to celebrate. It was a great reminder why we believe that our time in Philadelphia isn't finished. Thank you all for your concern and prayers for us. Please keep them coming! Who knows what the next three years will bring?!?

No comments: