Sunday, March 1

Super-wanna be

SuperEric.  It's an accurate self-descriptor I learned from Rob Bell in Velvet Elvis.  Rob described a time in his life at Mars Hill when he was trying to be everything to everyone and it was burning him out.  When I read about his experience and heard his words of exhortation to "put down this book and kill your super-whatever inside of you," I realized that he had nailed me.  This has been me!  In college, at First Reformed, here in Philly.  I try to be SuperEric.  And it's stressful.  I tried to kill off SuperEric like he said.  I tried to do it.  But it's hard.  And it's only something that God can do--not something I can do by simply trying harder.

You see, I like to please people, so it's hard to say no to things or to delegate when it's something I could squeeze into my schedule.  Yet, saying no sometimes is healthy.  I believe this is a lesson I'll have to remind myself of time and time again, but for now--I'm going to do my best to be Eric.  Nothing special, nothing super...just growing, imperfect, little ole me.

In a seemingly unrelated event, our friend Sandy had our home group over to his house today for a citrus brunch.  We had a wonderful time consuming two crates of fresh oranges he ordered from Florida.  After we had eaten our fill, we got a tour of his apartment.  One of our favorite parts was when he showed us his deck, complete with a ladder to go up to the roof.  Here are a few pictures of Sarah and me, ironically portraying superheros as we attempt to save the world:

Superwoman/Superman


Spiderwoman/Spiderman

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally hear you on the SuperEric thing... I always thought that because I was blunt/straightforward with people, that I wasn't a people pleaser... but I am realizing more and more that I AM a people pleaser - and I have to really fight that temptation to do things or say 'yes' because of how others may view my decision. The freedom lies in one's worth coming from his/her Creator and living out of that knowledge... instead of looking to this world to say 'yeah, you ARE great!'

Thanks for sharing your thoughts and reflections Eric - I will be praying for you as I struggle with this daily as well!

-Christen

Anonymous said...

Eric, Homie,

That is definitely a beard on your face. I like it. Keep it. thats all the super hero I need from you. As much as you are SuperEric sometimes, I still love you. I'll say a pray for you guys with the up coming match day and that you won't be wearing any kind of super suit (aka tights) in the future.

Dan said...

Commenting on an old post? Tacky? Maybe. And not heroic.

I also found that part of Rob's book super-convicting. It is hard to know how to completely kill super-whatever. To let go of those expectations that bring so much disappointment, but can also be the dealer of the drug of worldly affirmation. I try to kill SuperDan. But I usually only manage to slap him around a little.