Sunday, November 4

Google Street View comes to Philly!

Perhaps the best news of last week was when I discovered that streets in Philadelphia were added to Google's Map website. Street View is the newest addition to Google Maps. They drive around with a car taking hundereds of pictures a minute. Using photo-splicing software, they connect all the pictures together to create a seamless image of the actual street people can drive on. This is unbelievable. Try it out! Go to my house on Google Maps. Then click on the street view button. What you'll see is a view from my front porch! Turn 180 degrees and you'll see my front door--complete with a beware of dog sign. Seth and I guessed that the picture was taken this summer, as you can see his new air conditioner in the 2nd floor window.

The possibilities of this are quite fantastic! Imagine getting directions to a location, then pulling it up on the map to see exactly what the landmarks are near your turn!?! Pretty amazing.

No comments: