Wednesday, August 20

Credit card fraud

Monday, I logged into my Chase Visa card to see what our monthly balance was so far. When I got to my account page, no cards were listed. Funny, right? I waited until evening before trying again. No luck. I called customer service, and they said that my account had been put on hold because there was "suspicious activity" on it. They asked me if I had purchased several items (including Napster--which I haven't used since high school--and Duane Reed--a drugstore in NY I had never heard of). They confirmed that I had an incident of fraud and needed to shut down the account immediately. Thankfully, Chase will not charge me for those items, and they will be sending us new cards in the next few days.

I'm not sure when someone nabbed our credit card numbers! I'm also impressed with how quickly Chase identified this activity. When I asked how they did it, they just said that they have a sophisticated system...aka, none of your business.

I leave this situation grateful for how well the credit card companies watch our accounts, even if they do charge businesses an arm and a leg to use them. Will this influence my online shopping? Nope: there's a greater chance that someone will write down your numbers at a restaurant than someone will get your data online.

No comments: