Tuesday, October 7

Breaking the silence

Anyone who knows a good deal about me knows how much I care about the Chicago Cubs.  Their last World Series victory came in 1908 (depressing fact?  Teddy Roosevelt was president.  Even more depressing about that?  He is on Mount Rushmore.).  This year, the Cubs had great pitching, very good defense, hitters who were dangerous in every part of the lineup, and a match-up with the worst team allowed into the playoffs.  What did that get them?  Swept in the first round for the second year in a row.  Despite coming in with the best record in the national league, the Cubs didn't win a game.  The only other time that has happened in 40 years was once to the Astros. 

After the first loss, I had a bad feeling in my stomach.  I held off posting a blog entry with all the dates and times of future playoff games in fear that the Cubs wouldn't make it.  Unfortunately, I was right. 

Sarah and I watched the games together.  After the second loss, I felt numb.  Not tearful or sad...a feeling even worse: apathy.  This feeling continued throughout the Cubs game three loss and into this current week.  I know it will go away as spring training comes up in March, but for now, the winter looks pretty bleak.  The one light in this darkness of a situation was that Sarah lived and died with the Cubs right next to me.  She now understands the pain and heartache required to cheer for the Cubs.  Sarah, welcome to the family.

Reading articles about it just makes the situation even more depressing:
Here
Here
or
Here

But hey--wait until next year!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

DeBo~

Since moving out to Pasadena, Christen and I have been to two Dodger games. We celebrated their 50th anniversary of being in LA, I had a Dodger dog, and we even sat once in the nose-bleed section. But I have to say that we weren't too impressed with the team. I am truly sorry for your loss. :)

~Tony B