Tuesday, November 4

Election results

My 5th graders went around the school with home made ballot booths and ballots, asking students from kindergarten to 8th grade who they would vote for in the election. Now given, I teach at an urban school in West Philadelphia where over 90% of the students are African American. Our results were that 83% voted for Obama, 14% for McCain, and 3% other.

Through the lens of my students, this is an incredible election. To grow up in a world where a black man is not automatically assumed to be a criminal...to have a role model in the oval office...to have a president who looks like them...is outstanding.

I find myself being so thankful for our country. Think about it: we just chose the next leader of our country without any bloodshed or anarchy. What a blessing!!! Obama will be our president, and we all have a duty to support and pray for him--no matter what our choice in the presidential ticket. 

No comments: