Wednesday, January 17

Hodge podge

I've realized that since my master's classes have started, I have done a poor job of blogging. =(

This year I had Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Day off for the first time in my life! I enjoyed it more than I ever did before, too--and not because I didn't have to teach. Instead, Philadelphia had a "day of service" where the city encouraged everyone to volunteer in their community to make the city a better place. Our school participated, and the city brought a ton of shirts, shovels, rakes, bags, and cleaning supplies in order to help us make our school more beautiful. You can see pictures here.

Tomorrow Brian Mulder, Scott Parrott, and Peter Van Wylen are coming to Philadelphia for the weekend! I'm very, very excited to have them here and to show them around my community. In all honesty, I am a bit nervous. I'm praying against wanting to impress them or to display some image that I'm not. I desire to introduce them to the community I'm a part of now, and I feel some inner need to prove myself or show off Liberti or my schools. May they get an accurate picture of my life in Philadelphia, without any of my doing.

Sarah had an hour-long lecture on types of diarrhea today.

The whole city of Philadelphia was depressed that the Eagles lost this weekend. I was at a birthday party for one of our home group members, and they had a TV setup in the kitchen. At one time, there were about 30 people packed in the kitchen watching the game, and about 5 others in the living room talking. This city loves their Eagles! I rooted for them too and actually felt bad when they lost. (especially now that they won't play the Bears...but maybe that's a good thing for my survival here!)

On Saturday, Seth and I drove out to the King of Prussia mall to see Hope play Calvin at the Fox and the Hound Restaurant. We had a great time! Dan and Krista came with some friends from Princeton, and we all enjoyed HOPE'S VICTORY! (their second over Calvin this year, actually) Randomly, I also saw a few people I knew from the Holland area--a former youth leader from church and a guy I had met at Hope game my sophomore year. Sing it with me now, "It's a small world, after all!"

No comments: