Monday, January 29

Shaken...not stirred

Did hear about the protests going on in Washington DC this week? I hadn't heard of the planned march on the country's capital, but I found out soon enough when Sarah and I arrived in Greenbelt, MD on Saturday. We were on our way to visit Sarah's younger sister Elizabeth who is finishing up her undergraduate career in political science by studying in Washington. George Bush's head was on more objects than I've ever seen! (rubber chicken, Pinocchio, donkey's rear end, etc.) People carried djembes, signs, and an excitement with them. There were 50 buses parked at the metro stop, and everybody was heading into town along with us. Fortunately, we got off the jam-packed train after a few stops to switch lines. The protesters, although intimidating in number, loud chants, and anti-administration pictures and literature, were peaceful. Had we not been on the way to visit Elizabeth, I would have been interested in going along for the experience.


Our time in DC went by quickly. We walked around for a while, then decided to visit the International Spy Muesum. Four hours later, the museum closed on us! We all had a great time seeing the technology spies used to use, which made us wonder what other devices they're currently using! So many stories...so much double-crossing...so much fear. I could never be a spy.


While we were in Union Station, we saw a HUGE inflatable colon! It was crazy timing since Sarah had just taken an exam on the GI tract the previous day!!! We went inside and were probably the most excited visitors the colon cancer awareness group had!


About halfway through the day yesterday, I started feeling under the weather. Sure enough, I woke up with a sore throat, stuffed sinuses, headache, cracking voice, and all kinds of congestion.
Consequently, I stayed home from school. I found myself feeling very grateful for a job where I can stay home and not worry about making ends meet when I miss a day.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Eric,

I so enjoy reading up on your activities and ADVENTURES. Amazing!
You do an excelent job keeping your blog current.

You are having quite the experience in PA. We are proud of you!

Love,
Dad