Thursday, June 28

Concert in the rain

What a night! My friend John Jackson from Liberti had a few extra tickets tonight to an outdoor concert at Philadelphia's acclaimed Mann Center out in Fairmount Park. Nate and I met up with him and enjoyed a good two hours of beautiful music. There was a Russion violinist who played like he was born with a violin on his shoulder. Notes just SANG from his instrument. I wish I could remember his name....it started with an I.

The heat was pretty rough at first (it's been mid to upper 90s all week), but it cooled down as the night progressed. Soon we found out why: after intermission, we started seeing lightning. When the last piece was being played, it got more intense. As the music crecendoed, so did the weather! The wind picked up as the tempo did. By the end of the piece, we finally had rain. Some people had already left for their cars, yet most remained to applaud the performers. We took off after the last note, for the rain started POURING down on us. We tossed the two blankets on our backs and charged ahead, laughing at our highly enjoyable situation. It was a memorable night--one I'd enjoy living again.

One thing I wondered about before and during the performance was the tuning of the instruments. I know how sensitive they can be, and with all the humidity in the air, I figured it would affect them over the course of a while piece! As predicted, the whole orchestra tuned after each song to ensure they were all on the same pitch. Amazing how much of a difference the atmosphere can make!

I performed my duties as an America today: I shopped. And I shopped. I had to run some errands, and I ended up spending some good money! Here are a few things I bought: a case for my new 4GB silver iPod Nano (I bought it two weeks ago refurbished online for a great deal), some magazine holders from IKEA (hey, when they're $.25 for two of 'em, you can't pass that up!), a sleeping bag (since my parents took the one I lent them back to Michigan), and a U-lock (Sarah's had disappeared, so I lent her mine and my keys. unfortunately, I didnt' get them back before she left, and I wanted to have a lock to use on my bike!). I also got a bike helmet online, which I expect to get reimbursed for from my health insurance company; they promise to pay you up to $25 for a helmet every 365 calendar days!

Here's a picture of my new iPod in its silicon case:


Seth came back from Indiana today, a day early. Murphy and I are both glad to see him. It can get rough when your girlfriend and roommate both leave at the same time! Fortunately, I've been busy enough as it is. This weekend doesn't look to be slowing down either...summer is officially here!

No comments: