Friday, June 15

Graduation, good-byes, and a job offer

This week was our last week of the 2006-2007 school year. It was a busy one for me, filled with random events, graduation ceremonies (unlike most teachers, I need to attend both schools'!), awards, organizing, and computer formatting. I had thought I'd have some extra time to finish things up, but I didn't get that luxury. My computer had given me a few strange messages, so I decided it was time for the yearly format--wiping the hard drive clean and starting from scratch, with a complete system backup of documents/e-mails/music/pictures beforehand, of course! It's running smoothly now, and I couldn't be happier with it.


Graduation for 8th graders and the award ceremonies for both schools were beautiful. The kids were well behaved, parents were (finally) present, and the whole experience had a nice presentation. This week has really made me start questioning if I want to leave my current job...funny how a week without teaching can help you forget the hard times. Here's me with a graduating 8th grader who mentioned me in his speech:



Thursday afternoon I received a voice mail from Spruce Hill offering me the position as 5th grade teacher! Surprisingly, I felt a little down for the next while. As I reflect on it now, I think it's because I finally knew I would be leaving OMS/SI and all the kids and faculty there. There were other people interviewing for the position at Spruce Hill, and I never let myself think the job was mine until it was offered to me. The headmaster is going to call me on Monday to discuss salary and benefits with me. I expect to ask some questions and let him know by Tuesday or Wednesday. A few days later, I'm a lot more excited about the position. I'm still scared about the work load and a new situation, but God has only shown me wide-open doors in this situation, and I don't expect Him to start slamming them shut now.

Due to a late start and less-than-perfect health, my family didn't make it all the way to Philadelphia yesterday. They took a pit stop in mid-Pennsylvania and hope to make it here by noon. I can't wait to introduce them to people here! Although my natural reaction is to try and impress them (which, quite honestly, will be hard to do), I've decided my goal is to show them the beauty here--in the people, the places, and the culture. Let it be.

No comments: