Tuesday, August 21

Mercy triumphs over judgement

Around the beginning of January, I received a parking ticket for parking between two two-hour parking signs where there wasn't a meter. I didn't think I deserved a ticket, so I protested with a letter. A few weeks later, I received a letter from the Philadelphia Parking Associasion saying they received my protest and would check into the matter for me. That was the last I heard from them. This JUNE, I suddenly received a letter saying that because I hadn't paid my ticket, the cost was going to triple to over $75! I requested a traffic hearing, which I had yesterday. After hearing my story, the guy told me the rule: in a metered parking zone, you must park next to a paid meter. He told me not to do it again and dismissed my ticket! Woo hoo!!!

I felt better about my classroom at Spruce Hill yesterday too. No, I didn't plan massive units or anything, but I did feel a better sense of ownership about the place. I threw a bunch of stuff away, which is usually hard for me. Here's hoping it only continues as I attempt to move in and make the place my own.

Last night I watched the Bears/Colts Super Bowl rematch on Monday Night Football with Nate Frazier. We had a great time consuming large amounts of chips and salsa while watching the Bears eek out a 27-24 victory. Rain fell on Philadelphia all day yesterday, and when combined with the 60-degree temperatures and football, made me feel like we were in the middle of October! I really liked it; fall is a fun season for me, filled with memories of playoff baseball, apple picking, apple cider, donuts, and bonfires. Still, I'm excited to have more summer left before moving on to the next season.

No comments: