Sunday, August 19

More visitors

This weekend, Sarah and I got to play host/hostess to more guests: Liz Irvine and Dan/Krista Carter! Liz drove the 7+ hours from Rochester, NY, and the Carter family drove in from Princeton to visit. We had a slew of adventures--most notably attending a jazz concert at Penn's Landing that turned into a rain storm!
Fortunately, we were already sitting on the Delaware River underneath a shelter when the wind picked up and the heavens opened. Soon the whole shelter area was packed with people. After that, we headed to Franklin Fountain for some ice cream. John Jackson was still a little hungry, so we stopped by SoHo Pizza and ended up all eating more delicious food before calling it a night.



Saturday morning, Dan and Krista joined our running team in running 8.5 miles in the loop around Kelly Drive and the Schuylkill River. Krista hadn't run more than 4 in months, yet she did an exceptional job of keeping her mental focus and finished strong. I'd have to say that it seemed like the shortest 8.5 miles I've ever run--they're a blast to run with!

I introduced all of them to frisbee golf...Philly style. We grabbed some celebratory water ice afterwards before snagging some pizza from Pizza Rustica in University City. Altogether, a grand time!

Liz stayed until this afternoon. One of her goals for the trip was to have a Philly cheese steak, which we accomplished after church. She liked them! Maybe not every day, but they're nice to have on special occasions. I've now had each of the Big Three cheese steak places--Jim's, Pat's, and Geno's. I'd have to say that I like Pat's the best thus far.

Looking back, it was great to spend time with friends this weekend. The timing was great too: right before school kicked into higher gear for me. I hope to do a bunch of work this week on curriculum planning for the first week. Maybe after that I can branch into long-term planning for the rest of the year. One day at a time!

No comments: