Sunday, December 3

Battlefield

This weekend I think I got to witness the purest college football in the country: the annual Army/Navy game. The players who play on these teams aren't after money or fame...they're on their way to serve their country! They just like to play. Both teams were very disciplined (few penalties, little to minimal celebrations, and complete silence for two ceremonial songs after the game before celebrating). The seniors for Navy had quite the accomplishment: they've beaten Air Force and Army all 8 times they've played them in the last four years.

As for the game itself, Navy won. Despite not having real personal connections to the game, I got into it! There were over 3000 cadets from the army and 3000 midshipmen from the navy all in uniform. Each school took a turn getting on the field and standing at attention. They were all very impressive! I felt honored to have them serve me and my country, and even undeserving of their hard work, perseverance, and protection. It brought the Iraq war closer to home too as I pictured them giving their energy, blood, sweat, and tears for others. In a way, it's a beautiful example of how we as Christians ought to serve other people.

We were all FREEZING cold, however. Friday was 70 degrees; Saturday was 40 with 30+MPH winds. And we were out there from 11AM to 6PM. Yikes! It was well worth it, however...I'll probably never get another opportunity to see something like this again. In terms of rivalries, there aren't many more deeply rooted in tradition or intensity. What a day. More pictures here.

Today is nearing to a close, but it was a very good day. Just overall, I felt really strong in a deep way. Filled with peace, patience, contentment. Praise God!

Michigan was kept out of the national championship game officially today. Despite losing to the best team all year by only three points, they were shuffled off to the Rose Bowl. Here's more about what I think about the idea.

No comments: