Thursday, December 14

Oh my darlin'...African-American style

Add today to the list of cultural experience I've had in Philadelphia. This morning I played piano for the prayer service introducing students to confession and communion. I had planned on playing one song at the beginning of the service, then some Jay Rouse Christmas music for communion and confession.

I got to the parish (church) as school was starting to give myself 15 minutes to warm up and get the feel of the piano. Sister Stephanie, who had asked me to play and had given me the music, was there, and I asked her to sing along as I played. When she started singing, I soon realized she was singing neither the notes nor the rhythm to the notes I was playing from the hymnal--only the same words! The hymn had the same root chords as "Oh My Darlin'", which is what she was singing, but a different melody and rhythm. So, we slowed way down, went through it several times, and I plunked out a melody and chords. She told me that pianists in the African-American church sometimes only play with the hymnal for the words; they adjust to the feel of the song for that congregation! More like jazz piano, I suppose.

Anyway, the service went very well. The 6th grade teacher led the words and I played along. In all openness, I was pretty nervous for this. Last time I had played for Our Mother of Sorrows, and this was my first time at St. Ignatius. Despite my tension/worries beforehand and last minute changes, I loved playing for the service. It was an opportunity to use my gifts and serve the school as a whole. Playing Rouse' music always relaxes me, so being able to practice the songs and play them today were fulfilling.

No comments: