Wednesday, October 11

Google announcement

Today is exciting for a few reasons:
1. I leave for Baltimore as soon as my ride arrives at school here.

2. It's my half birthday today (when I mentioned it in 5th grade, I had kids guess that my birthday was tomorrow and in 30 days--nobody guessed 6 months away!).

3. Google acquired YouTube, currently the most popular online site for videos (in only 17 months of existance, they are the 10th most popular site on the entire internet). They bought them for 1.6 billion in stock. For a 67-person company!!! You could hire 16,500 people to work for you for a year and pay each of them $100,000!

4. Google also just made a watered down version of Word and Excel available online. For free. And you can publish your documents online for friends or anyone to visit. For free. And you can save the documents to your computer as Word or Excel files. All free. Have I mentioned how much this company facinates me?

5. The Tigers won last night. They beat the Yankees and are making a serious run at the World Series. All of Michigan is excited about them doing this. What's wrong with this picture? None of my students in Philly care. Well, I do.

No comments: