Monday, October 23

Weekend success and struggles

As I read my post from yesterday, I realized I committed a grivious error for any language arts minor: my subject line alluded to things not mentioned in my writing! Just don't tell mom.

I hope you take a minute to look at the pictures from this weekend. I also put up some from the wrestling match! Here they all are for quick reference:
Trail walk
Drexel service day
Franklin Fountain
Wrestling

One of the coolest parts of the wrestling event was seeing the people who were there. Sarah and I both enjoy people watching, and this was a great place for it! Perhaps our favorite was a girl who was sporting, as Sarah called it, a Mulfro. You guessed it: it was a combination of a mullet and an afro. Here's a pic:

The people in Philadelphia must be spending so much time wondering how the Tigers ever got to the World Series that they're neglecting to collect their change! Just yesterday I collected $0.39 in dimes and pennies while riding my bike! I did pass one or two ADDITIONAL coins in luew of traffic congestion. What opportunities await! It does make me wonder exactly how much money is on the pavement at any given time. Is there any way to measure such a thing?

15 of the cents were found on the way to church (Sarah, a Jefferson friend named Melonie, and I biked to church yesterday...just beautiful weather for it). I put it in the offering plate, since I thought that since I found so much on the way to church, God may have wanted me to give it back to Him. Reflecting on the situation brought to mind a recent struggle of mine: putting money in the offering plate. I struggle with wanting to put at least some form of money in the plate when it passes by. The size of the bill or number of them is of little importance; the issue is that I put SOMETHING in the plate. This is wrong, I believe, because my motivation is not to give money to God--it is to show the people around me that I am giving money.

If you haven't yet, I encourage you to go to Wendy's and purchase a Trick-or-Treat coupon book for $1. You get 10 junior frosty's with it--that's only 10 cents a delicious treat! You can even use TWO coupons for a small. What a deal! Especially good with the newer vanilla flavor. =)

Speaking of good deals, a gas station/convenience store in Philly called Wawa is giving away free hot drinks between 2 and 4PM every day! Very good hot chocolate.

Today I purchased auto insurance. Living in Philadelphia instead of Holland increased my rates by almost 100%. Wowzers.

Most of my day at school was spent problem solving computer issues. With all the classrooms wired, I'm trying to format all the computers and get them back on square one again. That takes some time when some of the equipment is missing and other parts don't work. Fortunately, I only had one class today (as will I have tomorrow, as this entire week is standardized testing for the state). God knows how to time these things, doesn't He?!?

Go Tigers! Let's hope they continue their winning ways on the road. John Hile (former roomie), cheer them on for us in St. Louis!!!

Seth and I are going to make nachos for dinner. What a way to end a Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the Wendy's tip!!!!

Anonymous said...

I tried to cheer them on, but I got booed, abused, mocked, ridiculed, belittled, and embarrassed. What I thought would be a great arch rivalry turned into Arch Revelry. Now I'm going to get it rubbed in for a whole year. And as you know so well, Eric, the familiar refrain goes like this: We'll get 'em next year.