Monday, October 9

World's greatest ice cream store

Wow. That's what my taste buds and every ounce of my being was saying after visiting Franklin Fountain tonight. Someone from my Liberti's home group told me about their root beer floats, and I went tonight with Seth (roommate night on the town...we went out to SoHo Pizza as well). They have the oldest operating soda fountain in the country (circa 1904!), and make all their soda and ice cream from scratch. We ordered a rootbeer float and a apple pie milk shake. No joke: they took a regular slice of apple pie, put some of their ice cream with it, and blended it with milk. Delicious! One of the best things I think I've ever eaten for dessert, next to a Gardner dutch apple pie.

Two brothers own and operate it, and they and their employees dress like they would at the turn of the last century as they serve and converse with their guests. Seth and I talked with Ryan, one of the brothers, about the shop and their mission of old fashioned service. Ryan had mentioned a friend of his from Michigan, who provides them with Vernors when he goes home. As we were talking, his friend happened to walk in! After a short introduction, Ryan and I started conversing. We made quite a few connections in a short amount of time--jazz, Flint, Holland, the Pratt family, hiking, teaching, etc.! He gave me his contact info and said that he'd love to car pool with me back to MI if I'm intereseted. He was a neat guy to talk with and very laid back. He teaches in Camden, which is on the other side of the Delaware River in NJ. A delightful evening!

This weekend went well, too. I'll have to write more about the goings-on later this week. Until then, GO TIGERS!

No comments: