Thursday, November 16

Home maker points!

Seth and I deserve some home maker points this week. First, we had most of Seth's cooking appliances get donated to another location. As we started making hamburgers Tuesday night, we soon realized that we no longer had any bowls to mix the seasonings into! Thankfully, we were near the end of our Red Vines bulk licorice container, and we massaged the spices into the beef. It worked well!

I made Rice Krispie Treats for the first time in my life, too. It was on an impulse: Rice Krispies were on sale, and I wanted to do something with them! They turned out well--especially for my first time. Although, I guess it's kind of hard to mess up a recipe so simple!

Tonight Seth put the rest of the beef in some macaroni and cheese. Mmmmm...combined with some kettle BBQ chips, we had a delicious meal. While going out to eat is certainly a treat, it doesn't compare with the full circle feeling of fulfillment that I sometimes feel with eating at home. Maybe it's the whole caveman instincts of stabbing the prey, dragging it home, skinning it, cooking it, eating it, and throwing away the bones idea. Who knows.

Seth and I have been starting our mornings with some prayer and Scripture at 7AM. It's right before I leave for school, but it's a sacrifice for him. He usually doesn't have a cut and dry schedule, which allows for plenty of flexibility. Instead of sleeping in, he wakes up early with me. It's been neat to connect in that way with each other and with God in the morning. *insert Tim Allen grunt here*

Thomas Jefferson University is about to sell Philadelphia's most famous painting, The Gross Clinic for $68 million. The painting was originally purchased by alumni for the school for $200! There's quite a bit of discontent from faculty, alumni, and students about the decision, which the University is justifying by saying that the painting will receive much more exposure in a national museum. A Jefferson memorial plaque will always be in display next to the painting. The city has 45 days to match the offer. Many see the painting as a symbol of Philadelphia, which says a lot for a city that values art so much.

Things at school have been going well recently. Today was one of those times when I felt a little lazy. You see, there are six class periods in a day, and I only taught for 4 of them. The other two I had off for planning or tech support. When I think of myself as simply the technology teacher, I feel lazy for not teaching as much as many of my fellow teachers. But when I think of myself as a technology teacher/network administrator/tech support for both schools' staff and faculty, I can justify my lessened teaching! It is crazy how quickly time goes by, however. My success for the day was connecting my newly formatted computers to a color inkjet and a b/w laser printer and sharing them on the school's new network. Woo hoo!!

Free stuff update: Sarah had a meeting for those interested in family medicine tonight, and they had a TON of extra Chinese food! After stuffing gladware to the gills and filling up the freezer, we decided to go door-to-door in her apartment building of Jefferson students to get rid of the rest of it. We were mostly successful in distributing food, and we made several friends along the way. It was cool how this was on the heels of our church meeting last night about building community in our communities, and how God provided a way to reach out to all the people on the 3rd floor of Barringer! One girl was a 4th year who offered to let Sarah borrow her board study books or answer any questions she has about the upcoming years. Another girl seemed a little lonely and was very grateful to meet more people. She said she's always up for hanging out! It was interested to observe the reactions of people to free food. Everyone was asking why, and almost half of the people we saw declined our offer. Guess some people still believe there's no such thing as a free lunch.

No comments: