Sunday, February 11

A ballet and an opera...in one week?!?

Friday night Sarah and I went to my first-ever ballet, Giselle. Sarah described it as a classic, and one that she had danced as the lead in when she was in high school. I had said that we would go to a ballet as one of her Christmas presents, and it was very good to finally get to a worthy one. My favorite part was watching Sarah enjoy it. She loves the technical requirements for ballet, and she hasn't seen one since before going to Hope! Thankfully, she directed me to the synopsis before the show started....had she not done that, I would have been completely lost in the story! I wish I appreciated ballet as much as she does. Still, I was very glad that we went. And who knows? Maybe we'll take in another one next year! But probably not before. =)

60 students, several teachers, and I went to the opera Porgy and Bess this past Wednesday. The downside to the performance was that it was over 3 hours long in a dark theater. The positive side is that only a few students fell asleep--the rest watched quite well! I was very impressed with their behavior. Unfortunately, I think part of what kept their attention was the content: sexual references, drugs, swearing, and violence were all part of the plot! It wasn't an opera I would choose to watch with my students, but we didn't have much of a choice. I had a lot of fun interacting with the students, however. We could talk about things that class time doesn't allow. Overall, I was very glad I was able to go.

No comments: