Saturday, May 5

The weekend is upon us

This Thursday, I did something I've never done before in my life: sang karaoke. A few friends from our home group invited our group, and Sarah and I decided to take them up on it! Looking back, I would have liked to have changed a few circumstances around the situation: I was pretty tired, feeling more reflective than assertive, we didn't get there until 10PM, and there were a bunch of females from Drexel who were together (and they were all near the front...it made our small group feel like we were crashing somebody else's party). Having never sung karaoke before, I was a bit nervous. I also didn't know how it worked, so I was quite surprised when there was a teleprompter that went through the words for me! After combing through the song list for quite some time and feeling rather disappointed that there weren't any songs from the Little Mermaid, I sang "One More Day" from Diamond Rio (kudos to Chris Avery for helping me learn that song back in our Nykerk days!). People congratulated me and said I did great, but I felt a little sheepish. However, it will not deter me from attempting again in the future. My comfort level is much higher now with it, so I'll give it another shot!

Sarah, Michelle, and I are going to check out a potential house for the girls on 33rd Street in Philly. It'll be about the same distance from me as last year, but much less in the middle of the city.

Tomorrow is the 10 mile Broad Street Run. I'm excited! Two weeks ago I was pretty nervous about the distance. Now, I'm less nervous about finishing and more excited about the journey. I guess that about 10,000 runners run it! There are bands and church choirs setup alongside the race for encouragement, which I think is really cool. Too bad I won't have a camera to take pictures as I run!

Last night several students, gym teacher Stephanie, and Melissa and Erika (the two other students run coaches) went with a bunch of students and me to a Students Run Philly Style pasta dinner. While we were there, All-pro Shawn Andrews from the Eagles came! He volunteered his time and told the kids how good it was they were participating. The dude was only 24, but he's already played four seasons with Philadelphia, and he's as thick as a wall. A few of the guys on our team were doing the male version of swooning, and some of the girls were teasing them about it. I had forgotten to bring my camera, but I'll post pictures when I get them from the other coaches.

The Cubs came back from a 4-run deficit yesterday. They're suddenly in 2nd place in the NL Central! They're coming to Philly the weekend of Mother's Day. Will and I bought tickets for the Sunday afternoon game, and I think I'll catch the Friday game as well. =)

Jay Leno reported this week: "Statistics show that in a lifetime, the average person sheds 120 pints of tears. Double that if you're a Cubs fan."

I'd like to add that we should double that statistic with tears of joy when the Cubs win the Series this year. Go Cubs!

Speaking of Chicago teams, the Bulls begin a big series with archrival Detroit tonight! Makes me wish I was in Michigan for this one...I'd be teasing my students about it all day long.

No comments: